Found out about a great opportunity coming up this week from Kristi Boss of the Homeschool Resource Center (www.fofchomeschool.org)
Click on the Get Coupon button on their site and you can get a coupon for free admission to a number of public gardens. You do need to give your name, email, zip code, pick your garden, and indicate the number in your party. The coupon is good for 2 admissions, but the site says to print as many as you need for your group.
In Illinois, included in the list are:
- Chicago Botanic Garden
- Elmhurst College Arboretum
- Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden
- Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens
- Rockford Park District
- The Morton Arboretum
- University of Illinois Arboretum
More all across the country, so share with your in and out of state friends as well. 🙂
The weather here in Chicago is supposed to be gorgeous on Friday so grab the sunscreen and a picnic lunch, and enjoy a field trip!
Saturday, October 22, 11am
Catapults have a long history in warfare. We want you to build a working version of these war machines. The challenge is to build a catapult which is designed to throw a tennis ball as far as possible. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place distances. Most importantly, contestants get the chance to build a catapult, compete, and possibly earn eternal glory! This project is fun, exciting, and as easy or intricate as you want to make it.
- This contest is open to all catapult enthusiasts; no matter your age!
- Teams are allowed (and encouraged). No more than 4 people per team please.
- All participants must register in advance by filling out this registration form by October 15, 2011.
- No ready-made kits. Each catapult must be designed, constructed, and launched by contestants.
- No part of the catapult can extend over 6 feet high.
- All catapults will be launched on a grass field. They must sit on the ground. No tables.
- The catapult cannot be staked into the ground.
- All catapults will fling tennis balls provided by the First Division Museum at Cantigny.
- Your catapult must have a triggering mechanism which will allow you to stand 2 feet away.
- No explosions or air pressure may be used to assist the performance of your catapult. In other words, the energy used to power your catapult must be provided by the device itself.
- Any type of hurling machine is acceptable: Ballista, Trebuchet, Mangonel, etc.
Each group will be allowed three launches. The best launch will be used as your score. The longest launch wins. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place distances.
Sign Up Now
If you’d like to register for the contest, click here to download the entry form. After filling out the form, save it and email it to email@example.com. If you have any questions, please contact Melissa Tyer at 630 260 8274.
Please click this link for a printable flyer for your classroom: