A great way for kids to get some exercise and exposure to team sports is a local gym and swim class.
Park Districts have started offering these during the school day, geared just for homeschoolers. If yours does not already do so, you might want to contact them and see if they would consider it. Many places are glad to put their staff and facilities to good use during some of their regular off hours, for a reasonable price.
Two that already offer various gym, swim, or art classes:
Elk Grove —
It’s time to register for the Elk Grove Park District homeschool swimming lessons and art classes.
- Classes begin January 4th and go through February 25th (8 weeks).
- Registration begins December 1st.
- Swim lessons are $48 per student and art classes are $57 per student.
- You can register by phone at 847-437-9494, or in person at 1000 Wellington Ave., Elk Grove, IL 60007
- Various classes for kids from 3-12 years old.
- Art on Monday and Wednesday afternoons and swim on Tuesday and Thursday
- Call for specific times and registration
Please note that participants must be registered at least one week prior to the start of the class to ensure that the class has enough children to meet the minimum requirements. Classes may be canceled due to low enrollment. Registration is on a first-come-first-serve basis and the registration office will contact you in case of a wait list.
If you have other questions, please feel free to contact the staff listed below:
Art/Special Events Coordinator
Phone: (847) 690-1184
Pavilion Swimming Coordinator
Phone: (847) 690-1406
Also, in Elgin —
Gym and Swim classes (one hour of each, generally grouped by similar ages)
- These classes meet from January 12/13/14 through March 16/17/18 (10 weeks)
- Meeting on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday from 1-3 at The Centre of Elgin, 100 Symphony Way.
- Fees are $54 for residents and $64 for non-residents.
- They tend to be quite flexible with partial enrollments as well.
For more details contact:
Youth and Teen Coordinator
City of Elgin Parks and Recreation
847-531-7017 – phone